Rochester Documentary Filmmakers Group is a non-partisan group that supports powerful and moving storytelling by local professional and amateur documentary filmmakers by:
- Screening members’ works-in-progress and leveraging our group’s rich and diverse experience and expertise to provide filmmakers with constructive, actionable feedback.
- Curating and sharing industry education, news, and grant opportunities to help members reach the finish line.
- Awarding seed money to members with a film in process through our annual ELECTION DAY Grant.
- Inclusivity: Our group welcomes documentary film professionals, students, and enthusiasts from all walks of life, interests, and abilities as members.
- Mentorship: Through our screenings of members’ works-in-progress, we share ideas, offer insights, and suggest resources and solutions that support filmmakers during their creative process to help them achieve their vision.
- Collaboration: We facilitate connections between our members, who offer a wealth of creative and technical talent and expertise and access our network for career opportunities, to partner on projects, and to hire crew.
- Sustainability: We believe that documentary filmmaking is an art form deserving of attention and support from the regional arts and cultural community so that it becomes a financially rewarding career for members who feel called to this work.